Thursday, May 3, 2007

Botalcura La Porfia Carmenere 2003 ***1/2

I am drinking a lovely glass of red wine.

At this very moment.



Yum.

I stumbled on this by accident at my local wine shop after a tough day at the office. It was an impulse purchase at the price of $12, but I'm oh so happy that the impulse came.

I'm a big fan of wine, but rather picky when it comes to red wine and I'm most schooled, really, in American red wine, which means tasty cabernets or zinfindels from California and an occasional dabble into French wines (though I find them particularly intimidating). This particular bottle of tastiness in which I am partaking hails from the Curico Valley of Chile. Having enjoyed some Chilean reds in the past, and being attracted by the label (yes...I'm one of those people...a pretty label never hurt anyone), and the 2005 Silver Award from the International Wine and Spirits Competition in tandem with the inexpensive price tag called me to just go for it.

Upon the pour, your glass is drenched in a lovely garnet color. On the swirl, there are a few legs left clinging to your glass, but not enough to cause concern for syrupy-ness. The nose is complex and aromatic. You can definitely smell some cherry to start with a full earthy depth to follow. Honestly, to me, it smells a bit like a super clean barn out in the country - maybe after a rain - very fresh, clean, and natural. When tasting, the cherry and berry hits you first, followed by something smokey like tobacco with a vanilla finish. The finish, in my opinion, is the best part. It lingers with you but does not turn sour nor astringent. Very smooth. Very tasty.

At this price, how can you really resist, and who hasn't wanted to visit Chile? I won't lie, I've had better reds, but this one is pretty amazing for the price tag without feeling or tasting cheap or mass produced. Three-and-a-half stars. Check it out. It would be great to share on a date.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't know squat about wines. I just know I like wines that are fruity and not too dry!
But we got this wonderful wine in Greece from this vineyard called Moraitis. It's won all kinds of awards and I absolutely loved it.
Your description of this wine is lovely!

ManWai Lai said...

ooohhh, Carmenere's are absolutely delicious!! Calina and Alcante have beautiful ones. Los Vascos reds are fabulous as well. They are partly owned by the Cht Rothschild. I love everything that Chapoutier produces. Their wines are approachable and affordable. My fave from them is "Bella-Rouche" Cote du Rhone.