Friday, April 13, 2007

Christopher O'Riley plays Radiohead ***

I haven't always been a Radiohead fan. I discovered them late. But it was life changing. I LOVE these guys. First, I love that they are a band that is really about music - they challenge themselves artistically and I really applaud that. But they are also real people who believe in real issues and stick to them. They are activists and not in that "I'm a celebrity with a very important cause" kind of way. They mean it. Take the song "Fake Plastic Trees" for example. Doesn't get better than that. It is one of my all-time favorites - right up there with George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun".

Not too long ago, I read a review of Christopher O'Riley's performance of his arrangements of Radiohead's songs for piano at the Kennedy Center. You may know of Mr. O'Riley. He's the host of NPR's "From the Top". He's a classical pianist and has arranged some really contemporary tunes for the ol' pian-a. One such compilation consists of the music of Radiohead (he also has a new Nick Drake cover out).

When I first popped this bad boy into my CD player I hated it. It was, at first, reminiscent to elevator music, or maybe something you'd hear the guy at Nordstrom's play. But I heard my music theory professor say, "listen more intently" in my mind. And so I did. And for that, I am glad. O'Riley nails it. To the point of almost creepy. My favorite of his arrangements is "Black Star" which musical accoutrement is almost as good as the real thing. But that's sort of the problem with this whole concept. It's not the real thing. Yeah, it's different. Some might say "edgy" in a weird sort of way. But it's really just an inversion and take on the cover band, which, I do believe we aficionado's call posers. So, while O'Riley is really damn good and his take on the music is pretty accurate, he's not Radiohead. Mostly, however, I missed the lyrics. A lot. They help to tell the story of the composition and really do have meaning. For that, Mr. O'Riley, I give your interpretation of Radiohead three-out-of-four stars. You're good. Just not that good.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Personally, I am a fan of covers. Covers that are actually different than the original I mean. I think it really brings you closer to the true meaning of the song, gives you another perspective of what the writer was all about.
But of course, said covers should be good. And there are certain artists you should not cover. Period

glenda said...

I love Radiohead, and have ever since high school. I remember when they played at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Phil. I so wish I could have gone to that concert. I also listen to O'Riley on occasion on From the Top. Those kids always blow me away. Not sure what this album sounds like, but it sounds like it's worth a listen.