Monday, April 16, 2007

Coke Zero ***1/2

I don't really drink pop/soda/coke/whatever you call it in your region of the country. I know it's bad for me. I often find it too sweet. The empty calories make me feel guilty and I've never been able to embrace that "diet" taste. I do, however, like to partake in the after work cocktail. Following our honeymoon in Jamaica, I developed a deep love affair for rum, and the old stand-by classic, easy to make cocktail (perfect for after a hard day at the office) is the rum and coke. Of course, rum, being made of a fermented sugar, is not so calorie friendly. Pair it with a high-calorie cola, and you are screwed. Enter my new favorite thing. Coke Zero.

According to the coke website, "Coke Zero contains Coke-ness (dodgy sounding, I know), the real taste and true essence of Coca-Cola." It's zero calorie and it tastes like coke, and dare I say, it might even be a little bit better. Because to me, it's not as sweet, which is something I participate. It makes it a great mixer. The soda achieves it's lack of calories through the use of aspartame and acesulfame potassium. That's the creepy part. Who the heck knows what that is?! And can that gunk really be good for me?

For that, Coke Zero gets three-and-a-half out of four stars. It's oh so good, just don't think to hard about what you're drinking whilst partaking.

5 comments:

glenda said...

I tried Coke Zero and didn't like it at all, but I don't use it for a mixer. I'm just a die hard caffeine freak. I don't even want to think about how many "empty calories" I would consume if it weren't for diet soda. I drink diet Dr. Pepper--it really tastes like the real Dr. Pepper!

Leslie said...

aspartame huh? I don't trust any of those artificial sweeteners. I don't drink soda, don't drink anything with caffeine in it. So, unfortunately, I've never had a rum & coke, never had a manhattan or long island ice tea whatever...

aren't you sad for me?

Eleanor Rigby said...

Aha! But Leslie, a Manhattan doesn't have any soda in it. It's one of my all time favorite "big girl cocktails". But it's very strong. The key ingredients are just bourbon and sweet vermouth. And a cherry, of course.

Eleanor Rigby said...

I have to say that I've actually ONLY had Coke Zero as a mixer, not just to drink. I don't drink soda for fun. For me, soda is merely a vehicle for alcohol.

Leslie said...

a vehicle for alcohol. you are too funny.